Friday, May 27, 2016

Movie Review: "X-Men: Apocalypse" - Third Ones Aren't Always the Worst (Minor Spoilers)


After "X-Men: Days of Future Past", many fans were filled with hope that with almost everything fair game again, we would get X-Men movies that would feel more like the comics and cartoons. Between the introduction of Apocalypse to the franchise and young actors cast to play Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Angel, it seems like it was about to happen. And being set in the 80's, it looked to be the movie I expected we would get when "First Class" was still in early pre-production. As more and more info came out about the film, I believed it would be the X-Men film we've waited 16 years for. So does it live up to the hype? In some ways, very much so. In others, it may make you wanting more in the next one.

I'll start out by saying that it's a very special effects heavy movie. There's a lot of destruction, and like Jeff Goldblum says in the "Independence Day: Resurgence" trailer, "they like to hit the monuments." Within the X-Men franchise though, you could compare the major special effects to X3, but there's actually some heart behind it in "Apocalypse".
Like in DOFP, I feel "Apocalypse" pushes the limits of the PG-13 rating with some pretty cringe-worthy deaths and fight scenes, which I like. They aren't playing it safe like they used to, and they do some things I'm not sure even Marvel would do (although in comparison, the humor is about on the same level as Marvel).

Let's go over characters now, starting with the eponymous villain. Oscar Isaac delivers a pretty powerful performance as Apocalypse in both personality and actions. He reminds me somewhat of Ultron in that he wants to make the world what he views as a better place under his rule with only the strong surviving to serve him.
As mentioned before, we're introduced to younger versions of characters we saw in the original trilogy. It was really nice seeing a young Scott and Jean, from how they cope with their powers and how they meet. In my opinion, they finally get some shining moments that I felt were missing from the characters before. I won't spoil how, but I think it's probably obvious. I could really believe they grow up to be the older versions we've met before. I could say the same for Nightcrawler as well. He's kind of the comic relief much like in "X2" as well as retains his religious views, although he doesn't get as much focus this time around, despite still being entertaining. The younger Storm is interesting and understandable with her character arc, but I felt she was lacking when using her powers, at least compared to her older version. Let's just hope that this version doesn't inexplicably lose her accent like Halle Berry did.
However, the ones who truly suffer in this movie are Angel and Psylocke. More so with Angel though. While he certainly does more here than in X3, he was very underdeveloped in comparison. With X3, we saw he was conflicted about his mutant powers with what he and his father wanted for him. I don't know what Angel's deal is in "Apocalypse" though. And besides that, he kind of dies in a pretty sucky way. As for Psylocke, while it's nice to see her more prominent and actually more like her comic-self than in X3 (like actually using her powers), she too was underdeveloped. However, she may have a chance for redemption in a future movie.

Now let's talk about the main ensemble that started back in "First Class". I can't really say much about MacAvoy's Xavier or Hoult's Beast, because they're about what you expected from the previous movies, though it's nice to see Xavier finally bald.
Jennifer Lawrence has gotten a lot of flack from previews for this movie for hardly appearing in Mystique's blue form in any footage. Like, so much for "mutant and proud". It's no secret that behind the scenes, she doesn't like to go through the make-up process. I will say though that the film does give her a good reason to hide her true self. Since saving President Nixon in the previous film, Mystique has been deemed a hero by many young mutants. It is nice to see how she becomes more accepting of this role though. I know some people don't like how they've made Mystique more of a hero in these films since "First Class", but like a lot of things in this franchise, I try to accept how they do things and not worry about how they differed from the comics.
If anyone gets the most development though, it's Fassbender as Magneto. I wasn't as sympathetic toward him in DOFP, but with this film, I was feeling the same pain for him that I did back in "First Class". I really don't want to go full spoilers about why specifically, but I think you'll feel the same as I did. I had a friend compare Magneto and Apocalypse's relationship to that of Vader and Sidious, and I have to say it was pretty apt.
Overall, this film brings a good conclusion to all four of these character's arcs.

Two characters truly stood out though. The first of course is Quicksilver. Having one of the most entertaining moments back in DOFP, it was without question he would come back. Not bad for a character Fox added last minute just to screw with Marvel. This time around, he has an even more epic slow-mo scene than his kitchen scene in DOFP. I don't think anyone will be left disappointed. We also get a more personal aspect this time around with him wanting to connect with Magneto, who is indeed revealed to be his father. It's going to be interesting how their relationship plays out in future films.
And of course, Hugh Jackman returns as Wolverine. Yeah I know, it's the eighth freaking time in a row, but you can't deny the guy knows how to play the role. And while it's just a cameo, this is probably the best Wolverine moment out of the whole franchise. Remember how he fought the soldiers invading the mansion in X2? Well here, his berserker rage is amped up even further. Like I said before, the film pushes its PG-13 limits, and Wolverine in this film is no exception. People won't be complaining about bloodless Wolverine fight scenes after this.

One aspect I didn't like though was how Moira MacTaggert (reprised by Rose Bryne) was used in the film. Apparently Charles wiped her memories of him and the others completely, and it was really frustrating to watch. I mean, I thought all he did was wipe out her memories from before they headed to the mansion in "First Class". I didn't think he would go all "Superman II". And even in the end, he lets her remember what happened, so what was even the point?

In some ways, it kind of feels like Bryan Singer is still cleaning up some of the messes the franchise made while he was gone. X3 introduced so many characters just for the hell of it, and while I feel this film does bring in a lot of characters, they still feel important (well with the exception of Blob). And a lot like X2, Singer had a chance to do Wolverine's origin again, succeeding in about five minutes what his actual "Origins" film failed to do in about two hours.

As exciting as this film was, I feel that "Days of Future Past" is still the best film of the franchise. I mean, "Apocalypse" was pretty damn close, but it has its problems. And while I did feel "Apocalypse" succeeded in doing things the franchise hadn't done before and continuing to embrace it's comic book roots, I don't think we'll get a TRUE X-Men film until next time. The fact that they actually get their own unique suits (which I wish they would have kept out of previews so we could be surprised) in the end and training against Sentinels in the Danger Room was a pretty good indicator.

Overall, fans of the franchise will no doubt enjoy what this film delivers, both satisfying them and leaving them wanting more the next time around.

RATING: 9/10

My Personal X-Men Film Rankings:
1. X-Men: Days of Future Past
2. X-Men: Apocalypse
3. Deadpool
4. X-Men: First Class
5. X2
6. The Wolverine
7. X-Men
8. X-Men: The Last Stand
9. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

No comments:

Post a Comment